Thursday, April 19, 2018

You are alive today

A cold morning walk with 90s tunes blaring in my ears.
An old retriever dog, white face and golden body, walking down a busy street with a giant branch in his mouth.
A postal worker picking up an empty garbage bin rolling around on the street.
Amazing lunch conversation with a dear friend and long-time mentor.
 
What do these all have in common?
 
Well...
 
they brightened my day,
made me smile,
reminded me of all the good around me.
 
They were free,
unplanned,
spontaneously noticed on an average day.
 
The question is, would I have noticed if I wasn't bringing mindful awareness to my day?
Probably not.
 
How much in our day to day life do we miss by thinking so far in advance?
How much passes us by, when we are busy analyzing the past?
 
The past leaves us depressed.
The future gives us anxiety.
Why do we continue to live like this?
 
Eckhart Tolle says, "Realize deeply, that the present moment is all you ever have."
 
Think about that.
Really reflect.
 
Why spend the next day, hour, minute even worrying about something that hasn't happened?
Why lose a week, a month, a lifetime feeling angry or holding a grudge about something which cannot be undone?
 
Our life is not meant to be perfect.
But we can appreciate it regardless.
 
There's no moment but now.
And it's up to us to live it.
Breathe it.
Love it.
 
Find the good, in today. In your now.
Whatever or wherever, it just is.
 
You are alive today.
And that is a gift.
 
xo
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment