Friday, April 6, 2018

Listening for what we really need

I've been thinking a lot about a meme I shared to my Facebook account earlier this week. It's a Brene Brown quote, posted by a blog I really like called Becoming Unbusy.

Shared from @BecomingUnBusy (FB)
Why the heck do we run our butts off, trying to do and make and support everyone and every thing?
Are we really avoiding our true selves?

As my kiddos get older, I am finding it harder and harder to find the intersection of supporting their passions yet still creating enough space for downtime cuddles and lazy puzzle days. It's never been harder.

Sports teams.
Dance lessons.
Birthday parties.
Obligatory family gatherings.
Friends to catch up with.
Board meetings.
Work commitments.
Self care appointments.

When did we decide this was all so normal? To be 'crazy-busy'?
Is it worth it?

This week I attended a funeral for a friend's mom, who passed far too young from the bully that is cancer. As I sat in the church pew listening to my friend and her sister share stories about their mother, I was overwhelmed with reflection.

They spoke about how their mother was always there for them.
By their side.

They spoke of family time and their mom's happy place.
The backyard, a bbq and laughter.

They spoke about their mother's love of sunshine and warm weather.
A simple truth most of us forget  to appreciate in the daily busyness of our lives.

I was truly overwhelmed with emotion, tears streamed down my face, as I realized right there, in that pew, that all my family really needs to focus on right now is creating space.

Not crazy-busy.
Not hours spent driving from event to appointment to commitment.

Just time.
And space.

To breathe.
Laugh.

And listen for what we really need.

No comments:

Post a Comment