Friday, December 30, 2016

In control of what comes next

What a year it's been.
So many lessons learned.

This year I hurt deeper than I knew was possible.
The pain in my heart literally took my breath away.
I stuttered for words.
I lost myself in grief.
Fear.
Anguish.

This year I learned about resilience.
Getting up each and every day despite the bully in the room.
I lived on coffee and text messages.
I stared fear in the face.
I told myself it was going to be ok, even though I felt I was lying.

This year I felt loss.
Loss of a child's innocence.
Loss of a family's routine.
Loss of control.

This year I felt love.
Deep, unwavering love from family, friends and even strangers.
I felt energy transfer from others' hugs, prayers, gifts and kind words.
I was literally lifted by the affection of others, 

I found myself reflecting and wondering...

Am I doing this right? 
Am I giving it my all? 
Will I have regrets?
Am I the person I really want to be?

This year transformed my children.
My marriage.
My body.
My spirit.

It shook us, but it did not break us.
It won't break us.

As this year comes to a close, I have made the conscious decision to usher out the negative aftermath. The pain and suffering, the worry and the fear. They are not welcome in my home or in my heart any longer.

I cannot control every twist and turn in my life. 
Life does not feel fair or equitable all the time.
Sometimes, life feels incredibly hard.
Painful.
Unrelenting.

My only source of control comes in my reaction to it all.
I am absolutely in control of what comes next.

I choose love.
Kindness.
Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment