Wednesday, March 15, 2017

In comes the slow

Slow.
Not snow, like you probably assumed?

It's March Break in Ontario, and yesterday we had a pretty great snowstorm.
I say great mildly. I dislike snow more than most, and it's March, afterall.

But something cool happened in my home yesterday.
We slowed down.
Waaaaay down.

We wore our jammies into the middle morning hours.
We watched shows together.
Played with puzzles.
Thought about doing a cool craft.. ok, we lost track of time on this one...

But seriously.
We slowed down.

In came the storm.
In came the slow.

I really needed the snow.

Yesterday reminded me how fast I was going.
How fast my mind was racing.
How much time I had spent, over the last two weeks, worrying about getting 'it' all done.

Why do we do that?
Why, in this developed world, do we ruminate on to-do lists? deadlines?

The list will never end.
And neither, I suspect, will the busy.

Perhaps this is why Mother Nature blessed us with snow and wind and craziness.

To remind us to slow down.
Be present at home.
Love the stillness.

The best moment of my day yesterday was curling up in the very old reclining chair in my living room with Ethan. He was still groggy and warm from his nap. We snuggled under the oldest quilt in the house and watched the snow out the front window.

For five solid minutes we watched.
Not a word.
Not a sound.
Just our breath.
Each other.
Snow.

And in that moment, the slow, stillness of life refreshed my spirit.
Relieved my soul's heaviness.
Reset my heart.

<3 <3 <3


No comments:

Post a Comment