Monday, January 16, 2017

This race called life

Sometimes it takes a whole year to realize how far you've come.
The last twelve months began like a sprint, then politely dropped into a cross country race.

Slow and unwavering.
Eyes on the path.
Steady pace.

Able to speak, yet completely out of breath.
Capable of continuation, however yearning to quit.
Heart pumping, chest thumping.

I don't know alot about running, but I gather there are three ways to get through a race.

The first is to isolate.
Run alone.
Listen only to the voices in your head.
Ego, its name.
Risking its accuracy and truth.
Forever being your own cheerleader.

The second is to compare.
The runner ahead is faster than me, so obviously better than I am.
The runner behind me can't keep up, they must be in really awful shape.
I am doing better than some, worse than others.
Rank-ordering pain and therefore outcomes.

The third is to belong.
I am a runner in this race called life.
So too, are these companions on the journey.
We are all struggling for breath.
We have our great races, and our really difficult ones.
But we all suffer and celebrate, together.

Sometimes we choose to isolate. Exhaustion and depression are often the result.
Sometimes we choose to compare. Fear and anxiety are often the result.

But when we choose to belong, we hit the sweet spot.

Whether it is my daughter's cancer.
Your husband's unusual illness.
Her mother's death.
His traumatic childhood.

If we belong, we are strong.
Our hearts fill with love and we say,

Me too.
I understand.
Your pain is my pain.

And the divine presence above us shines light on our souls and says, thank you.
This was your lesson to learn.

<3 <3 <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment