Thursday, June 23, 2016

To my husband on our anniversary

On June 24th Jay and I mark a very special milestone.
Ten years of marriage.

We don't remember our wedding song. (and we think this is funny)
I can't remember our first date. (movies? dinner?)
But we will never forget the day we sent our first fur baby over the rainbow bridge.

You love beer.
I love rum and coolers.
But we secretly prefer a cold fountain pop to just about anything alcoholic.

We've endured two apartments.
One mouse house.
One family mortgage.

Three dogs.
One fish.
Two induced labours.
One emergency c-section.

I've had three surgeries.
You've had one. And a pretty scary MRI I do recall.
Throw in a broken ankle for good measure.

We've struggled to connect.
Taken our anger out on each other.
Minced words over nonsense.

Sleepless nights.
Anxiety filled days.
Overwhelming weeks.

Yet here we are.

Strong.
Faithful.
Loving.
In love.

Our relationship is built on a foundation of mutual respect, deep love and genuine appreciation for our similarities but more importantly our differences. We couldn't care less about the jones' or any other societal pressure to be something we are not.

We are who we are.
And it feels so darn good.

We've learned that stuff - possessions and displays of income - mean very little to us. We took a giant financial leap backward just to prove this point. And we both still appreciate this decision, four years later.

We are raising our children to express love.
Help the helpless.
Trust in God.
Sing because it feels good.
Dance for every reason possible.
Cuddle.

We've admittedly allowed our relationship to take a backseat to the daily rituals of life with three kids. But we don't mind because we know we love one another. Our bond is quiet, yet the strongest piece of our family. We know it, and our kids find comfort in this.

Thank you for loving me, especially on days when I don't even love myself.
For picking me up off the floor on my worst days.
And celebrating the best ones.

For reminding me of our blessings.
And turning down the to-do list echoing in my head.
For making me laugh every. single. day.

Thank you for being an incredible father.
Husband.
Best Friend.
Soul Mate.

Thank you for ten years, Jay.
Love, pure love, our love, will always carry us <3

Here's to ten more.


No comments:

Post a Comment